Interpreting SAFE-AI Task Force - Stakeholders Advocating for Fair and Ethical AI in Interpreting
Our mission is to establish, disseminate and promote industry-wide guidelines and best practices for the responsible adoption of AI in interpreting, through facilitating dialogue and action among vendors, buyers, qualified practitioners, end users and other stakeholders.
- Document the state of the AI capabilities in real-time language interpretation which includes speech-to-text, speech-to-speech, multilingual captioning, and translation captioning.
- Identify key use cases where AI is being or could soon be applied to conference, medical, legal, educational, business and other settings.
- Identify the positive and negative impacts in these use cases.
- Create best practice guidance for each specialization, identifying key use cases for where AI is appropriate and where it is not appropriate, based on risk analysis. (For example, when does speech-to-speech replacement of a simultaneous interpreter for an event expand multilingual access safely vs. where the dangers are too high?)
- Best practice guidance will also be targeted by qualified practitioners, buyers, vendors, training/academic organizations and end-users.
- Disseminate and promote the findings.